Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Making the Bun in the Oven a Blanket

So lately I've been hard at work making things for our soon-to-be addition to the family. As of this past week, it has consisted of brainstorming what the baby's quilt should look like. I know I wanted to do something with elephants and the colors blue, white, and gray so I searched the internet for ideas. I finally just decided to make up my own because their weren't very many on the internet that looked fit for a nursery.

I started with my elephant cookie cutters that I bought a couple months ago, some white fabric paint, and an old gray sheet. I dipped the cookie cutters in the paint and stamped them onto the fabric longways in variating rows. Once that dried I added a 4" white border from another old sheet I had lying around.


If you have watched my Cloth Revolution Diaper Tutorial you would know about my blue and white polka dotted "microfleece"situation. Well after having to find a use for it I felt like this quilt was perfect for the use of that fabric. So I sketched out half of an elephant on the back of it, cut it out, "heat bonded" it to the fabric I just got finished stamping, and sewed a blanket stitch around the border in a dark gray thread.


Here's a close up so you can see the endless hours and hurt fingers I put into this simple border.


Then I decided the quilt needed something else. So I took some more embroidery floss and made rough thick stitches with 1/2" places in between. Here you can see it getting started and the quilt as a whole.


Here's a close up of the stitching. Needless to say there were more soar fingers involved in this process (I guess that's why people wear thimbles?).


So I eventually added enough stitching to the border to make me satisfied using a pattern of: Light blue, Blue, Dark Gray, Dark Gray, Blue, Light Blue. Then I pinned the back of the quilt to the front. This was just a piece of white fabric (left over from the sheet I cut up) so I didn't take pics.


Then I got to work pinning the binding around the quilt. I choose light blue because I didn't want the quilt to be predominantly gray.


Once I got that stuff sewn on using my sewing machine (might I say binding isn't as easy as it looks to put on) I was finished. I think it turned out just gorgeous. Now I just have to work on the mobile, the bumper, and the lamp. Good thing I still have until January!





♥ Mrs. Suzie

No comments:

Post a Comment