Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Nesting: Made the Baby Bumper

While working/sewing my way towards having the baby's room finally complete, I was down to only needing to recover the crib bumper and crib skirt. For some reason I am not looking forward to making the crib skirt and decided to go with the bumper. Like my quilt I posted previously, I wanted to cover the bumper with elephants, but instead of doing it with a gray fabric and white elephants, I decided on doing it with a white fabric and gray elephants. I wanted to keep it not matching 100% even though the colors were the same. I also decided to not make the whole bumper with white fabric but to make one whole side with the leftover gray fabric I used in the quilt to tie it together.

So after a couple days of brainstorming, I got to work. I started with taking the crib bumper I had and attacking it with a seam ripper down the longest side. Once I was able to get the whole bumper cover off, I used it as a guide for how big to cut the fabric for the new bumper. Once all of my pieces were cut out (which consisted of 6 rectangular cuts of each fabric) I got to work stamping on the elephants as I did with the quilt.


I took a gray acrylic paint, smeared it all over a plate, then took my elephant cookie cutter, dipped it into the paint, and stamped it onto my white fabric horizontally (or longways).


I ended up adding some variety to my stamping by turning my cookie cutter over and making one line of the elephants go in the opposite direction. Once all of that had dried, I took some blue ric-rac (because Walmart didn't want to carry blue pipping I got creative) and sewed it along one short edge of the bumper piece and then down the longest side of the bumper (only on the right side of the white fabric). I was able to do this by lining up the edge of the ric-rac with the edge of the fabric and then sewing a 1/4 inch seem (which went straight down the middle of the ric-rac).


Once all the ric-rac was sewn onto the white side of the bumper (except for the bottom longest side), I sandwiched the white fabric with the gray fabric right sides together so that the ric-rac was in between.


I then sewed the bumper together, keeping one of the small ends open for stuffing and turned the fabric inside out and ironed it to make sure it was the right size for the stuffing I saved. This is what the ric-rac looks like when you use it as piping.


After I had ironed the fabric, I turned it back inside out and did one last check to make sure the fluff would fit.



I turned the bumper right side out and stuffed the fluff into the bumper pinning it along the way so I could get a good fit.



Once I had it pinned, all I had left to do was to sew up the open end and add some ribbon straps with velcro on the ends to attach the bumper securely to the crib. If you are making your own you need to make sure that the bumper is pulled tightly around the side of the crib so you don't run the risk of suffocating your baby.

Below is a picture of the quilt, bumper, and mobile that I redid. When put all together it looks so darn cute! Now I just have to wait for little baby Liam to arrive so he can enjoy it too :)







♥ Mrs. Suzie

No comments:

Post a Comment